[讨论] Emily Hughes 入读哈佛大学

[复制链接]
鱼类 发表于 2007-4-28 10:36:59 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Emily Hughes to Attend Harvard University in the Fall While Continuing Skating Career

(4/26/2007) - U.S. silver medalist and 2006 Olympian Emily Hughes announced today she will attend Harvard University in the fall as a full-time student while continuing to pursue her promising skating career. While at school, she will train under coaches Mark Mitchell and Peter Johansson at the Skating Club of Boston. She will continue to skate with longtime coach Bonni Retzkin, who has been her coach since starting out in the sport as a young skater, while at home in Great Neck, N.Y.

“I'm really excited about going to college and starting to work with Mark and Peter,” said Hughes, who finished ninth at the 2007 World Figure Skating Championships. “Bonni's been great. She knows how close I feel to her, and whenever I'm home I'll take from her. It's great that she supports me, and she's been behind me the whole time. Mark choreographed my short program last year, so I have worked with him already. I think he and Peter are great coaches; plus, the Skating Club of Boston is really close to Harvard. It's fortunate because they're world-class coaches, and I'm really excited to start a new chapter.”

Hughes applied to seven universities and was accepted to all of them: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Cornell, Barnard College and NYU. Her immediate family has close ties to many of those schools. Her sister Sarah, the 2002 Olympic figure skating champion, is a student at Yale. Her oldest sister, Rebecca Parker, went to Harvard for her undergraduate degree and Columbia for law school. Her brother David and her parents Amy and John all graduated from Cornell.

“All of the schools were great, and trying to narrow it down was difficult,” Hughes said. “Not only do I want to get a good education, I want to be able to skate and train as hard as I can. After visiting Harvard and visiting the Skating Club of Boston, I realized that Harvard was the most ideal place for me because I can go to class, get an education, the rink is really close, and there is a great skating community.”

Hughes will move to Cambridge, Mass., during the weekend of Sept. 8 for new student orientation, and then begin classes on Sept. 10. She will take a full load of courses and is undecided on a major. She will live in the dorms with a roommate assigned by Harvard.
Other skating greats who have attended and graduated from Harvard University include 1992 Olympic silver medalist Paul Wylie and two-time Olympic champion Dick Button. Hughes had the opportunity to talk about the school with Wylie while performing at “An Evening of Champions,” an annual exhibition fundraiser held at Harvard to raise money for the Jimmy Fund.

“I think education is extremely important,” Hughes said. “I'm skating right now, but you never know what will happen in the future. Having a college degree and getting that experience and opening my mind to new and different things will help me on the ice and in the future.”
vanice 发表于 2007-4-28 10:58:34 | 显示全部楼层
厉害~~~~~~大部分是美国排名前10的大学呀~~~
离恨恰如春草 发表于 2007-4-28 11:04:47 | 显示全部楼层
嗯呐,希望我们的小圆圆将来也能进个哈佛什么的
丽丽熊 发表于 2007-4-28 11:38:17 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 离恨恰如春草 于 2007-4-28 11:04 发表
嗯呐,希望我们的小圆圆将来也能进个哈佛什么的

按她现在的趋势下去,应该是没啥问题的!
DSC 发表于 2007-4-28 13:56:30 | 显示全部楼层
Hughes姐妹们真的是很强啊~虽然对她们的滑冰风格不感冒,可很佩服她们的学业成绩
franzsfan 发表于 2007-4-28 15:04:47 | 显示全部楼层
这一家子太传奇了,看着这些名校就流口水
kimnara714 发表于 2007-4-28 16:22:43 | 显示全部楼层
能者无所不能啊~虽然Emily在今时女单这种强人林立的时代难有她姐姐的成就,但是学业上不落下才是强人~~

有些时候觉得中国这种体系的运动员很可怜,几岁就拉出来训练到青春年华退役,然后就不管了,才会有冠军搓澡工这种事情~相比西方国家就好得多~~

PS:Emily长得HD,可爱,阳光又聪明,可是怎么滑起冰来的力气让俺那么害怕~~~
顺风 发表于 2007-4-28 17:10:08 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 kimnara714 于 2007-4-28 16:22 发表

PS:Emily长得HD,可爱,阳光又聪明,可是怎么滑起冰来的力气让俺那么害怕~~~

你这是夸她呢,还是损她呢?

看了以后爆笑
pooool 发表于 2007-4-28 20:44:51 | 显示全部楼层
看那些名校,EMILY高中学业应该很不错,好生羡慕
tranejoan 发表于 2007-4-28 20:57:12 | 显示全部楼层
那个...喜欢hughes家姐妹的哥哥姐姐们不要打我,不过我知道有很多美国顶尖大学都会对某些体育上特别优秀的考生优惠,即使SAT分数不够高也能入读..............(真的没有贬低她们的意思!!!
DSC 发表于 2007-4-28 21:29:31 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 tranejoan 于 2007-4-28 20:57 发表
那个...喜欢hughes家姐妹的哥哥姐姐们不要打我,不过我知道有很多美国顶尖大学都会对某些体育上特别优秀的考生优惠,即使SAT分数不够高也能入读..............(真的没有贬低她们的意思!!! )

嗯,这确实是事实,不过就我所知,SarahYale是因为她的senior high school成绩超好,SAT分数怎样我不知道,不过她的GPA几乎是4了,大概是全校前几名;Emily的学业成绩应该也差不多,因为她的滑冰成绩还不足以让她被认为是体育特别优秀生。
franzlfan 发表于 2007-4-29 00:32:49 | 显示全部楼层
Alissa的大学不怎么样,不过她在大学也是4.0的学生啊,这些孩子怎么都那么强呢,太让我汗颜了~~
wxyz1234533 发表于 2007-4-29 11:34:53 | 显示全部楼层
她是home school的学生吗??
我记得很多滑冰选手
因为要有时间练习
都是在家学习的~没去上学
vanice 发表于 2007-4-29 11:37:42 | 显示全部楼层
Harvard, Yale对有特长的学生MS不会给很多优惠啊~~~~

还是成绩重要。

再进来崇拜下emily....
Penny 发表于 2007-4-29 12:23:51 | 显示全部楼层
我也觉得外国的体育体制比中国强多了,学业爱好两不误,虽然过程是比较辛苦,但结果是好的.如果体育上取得不了什么特别突出的成绩,至少退役后还能进好大学继续学业.中国的体育人由于把绝大部分时间和精力花在体育上了,错过了学习知识的年龄和时间,能出成绩最好了,至少下半辈子不用愁了;要是出不了成绩就惨了,文化知识比同龄人落下那么多怎么补呀.也正由于中国体育人文化和修养没机会补习,所以素质才普遍比发达国家的体育人低啊。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表